Wednesday, July 24

Things You Should Never Say

I have PCOS.

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It means my hormones are all wonky... which causes a whole bunch of other problems. This has been REALLY difficult for me to not only digest, but live with. I feel as though I am battling something I can not defeat. I feel as though I am the only one battling this. I feel weak.

In order to help curtail some of those feelings, I have begun to be more open about it. I have talked with others about it, but sometimes usually, that makes me feel worse. 

So I have turned to others online.

The PCOS Nutrition Center and the PCOS Diva, in particular, have been helpful. The PCOS Nutrition Center just posted an interesting article on Facebook from the Huffington Post, 5 Things to Never Say to a Friend Trying to Conceive

Now, we are taking everything one day at a time and that doesn't mean we are trying to have baby #2. Keep calm and keep reading! I love this article because for so long I have felt as though my body is who I am (based on how others 'see' me). I have always been more curvy than others. I have always dealt with eczema/psoriasis/dermatitis. Now I am dealing with PCOS and its negative effects on my body. This article can be used to help with everything!

In short, the article suggests being supportive and listening; things a true friend would do. Apparently, I don't have many true friends because everyone I know (with the exception of a few) has said something on their list! For Pete's sake, if I hear one more person say, "Oh, have you tried..." I am going to be mean and tell them, "No, I'm just the biggest idiot in the world and have just been eating everything in sight/licking my skin/have been taking my chances!" (curves/dermatitis/PCOS respectively) I mean, really people! I have been trying to be nice and say that I haven't tried stuff so people think they're helping, but it's wearing me out. I've even tried saying yes, but then people get into the, "and it DIDN'T work? Are you sure you did it right?" angle of trying-to-help-but-really-being-condescending conversation.

We need to show people we care by being there, not by offering advice. Know that people who are in any situation often need a supportive ear and a shoulder to lean on. We need to be friends to one another.

This also reminds me of this short video. Let's all remember that It's NOT About the Nail!

1 comment:

  1. I actually love this commercial. Laughed so hard when I first saw it.

    ReplyDelete