Breastfeeding is interesting, amazing, painful and exclusive!
When we got pregnant we knew that we wanted to breastfeed Adelle for as long as possible (without going over into crazy by breastfeeding a 3 year old). We knew that everyone said it would be difficult and painful at times. We knew that it would be something we had to work on. We knew all of those things.
What we/I didn't know was how attached I would be to her. Not attached in the sense of having to be by her all the time, but attached emotionally, at least on my end! When it is time for a feeding, I get excited (except at night) because I know that it is a time where just she and I can sit together. I can talk with her about what we're going to do that day or what has already happened. I can look into her eyes, hold her hand, and squeeze her tight (but not too tight). It's just us. I get to hear her noises, feel her moving and I get to see the faces she makes - which makes me wonder what she is thinking of!! It's just us and it is amazing!
Breastfeeding itself is an interesting process. Think about it, my body makes food for another person! Interesting (if not amazing as well)! Learning what it feels like to be full is another interesting truth about breastfeeding as is leaking. WTH! I knew it could happen, I just wasn't prepared for how much! Those little pads don't hold a lot - how often are you supposed to change them?
The process of breastfeeding is also painful. People told me it would be, but you can't really describe the pain or prepare for it. And there are different kinds of pain as well! For instance, latching on can be painful if her body isn't in the right position, she's excited, or her mouth isn't in the right position. Then, once she's eating there is another pain - biting. She hasn't done this often, but when she does I curse the little gums in her mouth for being so solid!! Yes they have teeth there, but good LORD that smarts! My mom says that is what I did to her - I am officially sorry about that mom! I had NO idea!!
The exclusive part is that it is only me and Adelle. Brian doesn't get to experience this at all. Not yet anyway. By the way, when can I start pumping so Brian can help feed at night? While I am sure he is sad he doesn't have that kind of one on one time with Adelle, he probably isn't too sad that he doesn't have to wake up with us at night.
Soon enough though Brian! Soon enough!
I am already pumping all the time!
ReplyDeleteStart pumping now! You can introduce a bottle after a couple of weeks, but if you are going back to work, you need to get your body used to pumping. Beastfeeding is a beautiful thing, and I did it exclusively for 6 months. Now we supplement and I pump so all of Scott's meals during the day are in a bottle...he gets breast at night. The biting gets worse once they have teeth!
ReplyDeleteDaddy will get used to feeding. Let him do everything else. You can have him bring her to you at night too. He can do the changing. Zach puts Scott to sleep at night and that was their "special bonding time" where he sings to him and talks to him. I would feed him first and then hand him to Zach. :)