Monday, December 28

Nervous and a trip to L&D

So Saturday was great. I got things done around the house, ran errands, and even started having some contractions. Granted, they weren't regular and most weren't painful so I didn't think I was in labor, but I was having them.

We were running around so much that when we got home I had to lay down. I put my feet up on Brian and even snoozed for a bit. A little while later I realized that I hadn't felt Adelle move for a little bit. I shrugged it off as, I just haven't NOTICED her moving but then started paying attention to any movements. Well, I didn't feel any - not even hiccups. I drank a glass of cold water, some pop, and even ate something and nothing happened. No movement. I was starting to get really freaked out so Brian called the nurse who called the on-call doctor, who happened to be OUR doctor. We talked and he said that he wanted us to go in to Labor and Delivery to get monitored. With this news I started crying, but told him it was ok. He said that it was just a precaution and most times it is to help ease the mothers' nerves/mind.

We got to the hospital around 8:55pm (after a 5-8 minute drive) and I was hooked up to the monitor by 9:03pm. Right away I noticed that Adelle's heartbeat was slower than it has been, then it would jump up, then drop low, and I got nervous again. The awesome nurse, Tracy, told us that is what they look for. That means she is just being active. I told her that I wasn't able to feel anything yet and she said that that was ok too, but she wanted me to tell her when I could. 7 minutes - 7 really LONG minutes later I felt a couple of kicks and at 9:15pm I felt another. Tracy came back in and said that things looked just fine for both of us and that she was going to call Dr. H and see what he wanted to do. I was able to go home a little after 9:30pm and told to follow up with Dr. H on Monday at our appointment.

Even though I wasn't there for very long it was surreal. That was my very first time in an actual hospital bed, aside from when Brian was in the hospital a few years back and I cuddled with him for a few minutes. It was only the second time I had ever been in a hospital gown, and the third time I had been hooked up to machines. What was surreal though, was walking to Labor and Delivery, checking in at the front desk, filling out a few papers (and by filling out I really mean checking to make sure things are correct), and getting my little bracelet. I kept wondering if that is what it would feel like when I HAD to go to the hospital.

One thing I realized was that as I was laying on my side, my hip started hurting. I think I was laying right in one of the creases/cracks of the bed. I'll have to remember to avoid that when I do go back to the hospital.

Another thing I realized - though NOT for the first time - was that Brian and I are so amazing together. I don't think I could do this - or that - without him. He was comforting, strong and level headed the entire time. In fact, he was putting in Transformers 2 to see if Adelle would move to that since she went crazy when we watched it before. How sweet was that?

He is going to make an incredible Daddy!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't going to the hospital a trip?? Just think...soon you will go and come out with your baby!! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete