Wednesday, July 29

My Mom Got Hurt!

"Ter!? We're OK BUT..."

Now, these are famous words in our family because if something happens that we need to tell the family about we start the call like that. It is a great way to get attention and to let people know you need them to listen and be serious.

Well, Saturday my Dad started a phone call to me that way. I sat up as he finished, "Mom fell and we are at St. Jo's right now in the ER. She's going to be fine and we are exactly where we need to be. Ter?! There is no need to cry, she'll be fine!" Well, I told him it was too late for that! After we hung up I showered and we left for the ER.

We got there and Mom was in radiology getting x-rays done. We went to the radiology waiting room to find out that she wasn't getting them done because she was brought so quickly, her paperwork hadn't arrived. So, I gave her a hug and talked a little bit THEN she went in. After she got back to the ER she told us what had happened...

She was stepping onto a curb when she fell and broke her femur (leg) right down by the knee! NOT GOOD! She ended up having surgery on Sunday - they put in 2 screws that look REALLY long, and a plate (which is held in with another couple of screws). The doctor said that everything looks great and her knee joint is fantastic - nice cartilage! She has to wear an immobilizer and can't put any weight on her leg at all! Poor, poor Mom!

She's at home now and is doing pretty well... as well as can be expected I suppose. Her spirits are high though and we're helping her out when and where we can!

Feel better soon Mom! We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment